One of my most favorite things is moose tracks popcorn (like the one from Harry & David). I decided to try and replicate it today and so far, so good.
Word to the Wise: I am still trying to figure out how to store this. I put one batch in ziploc bags and another batch in a tupperware. Both have lost some of the crunch. My recommendation would be to leave it on the wax paper overnight, then to store it. I am thinking the batches I made may not have dried out completely and instead retained some of the moisture. If anyone makes this and successfully stores it, let me know!
Moose Tracks Snack Mix
Time: 20 minutes prep; 40 minutes in the oven; 20 minutes finish time
Serving Size: Approx. 12-14 cups of mix
- 2 bags popcorn (regular or kettle corn)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup peanuts (optional)
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 250F
- Make both bags of popcorn and place in 2 large bowls.
- On stove, heat 2 cups brown sugar, 1.75 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup corn syrup, baking soda, vanilla and salt. Allow it to come to a boil. Once boiling, stir for 3 minutes.
- Pour the mix over the popcorn and stir.
- Grease baking sheets (I covered them in foil) and pour popcorn onto sheets (I used 2 sheets, though 3 would have been slightly better).
- Cook for 40 minutes, mixing every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wax paper in a single layer (i.e. spread it out onto as much wax paper as necessary so it is not piled high).
- Take peanuts and crushed pretzels and sprinkle throughout popcorn mix.
- Melt chocolate. I boil water and then put a second pan over top (creating my own double boiler of sorts). I then mix in about 2tbsp of butter and 2-3 tbsp of milk. Allow it to melt thoroughly.
- Drizzle over popcorn. You can either leave it like this, or mix all of the popcorn up so that the chocolate coats it well.
Recipe compliments of: http://leahbellesrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/10/moose-munch.html