What to do with a late night dessert craving? If you can't beat it, succumb to it I suppose. So what did I do last night? Made myself these irresistibly delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. If you are a nut person, adding walnuts to these suckers would be pretty delicious.
Word to the Wise: Do not microwave your butter to get it soft. I am often guilty of this to speed the process along but those batches of cookies are the ones that always flatten out. Take out your butter 20 minutes ahead of time and just let it sit. It will be soft enough for a mixer to cream and you wont end up with cookies that are as thin as a sheet of paper. Also, as a friendly reminder, do not grease your baking sheets when making cookies, as the grease burns the bottom of the cookies.
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 20 medium cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats (anything except steel cut and instant will work just fine)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat until blended.
- Mix in the quick oats - you can do this with the mixer or by hand. If you use the mixer, be careful not to over-mix this.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes then remove sheets from oven and cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and enjoy!