Monday, September 5, 2011 at 05:20AM
There isn't much to say about this oh-so-sweet, melt in your mouth, delicious (and relatively easy) recipe. Go out, get yourself an ice cream maker, and just give it a shot.
Chocolate Hazlenut Gelato
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup of the sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves - roughly 5 minutes.
- Separate your egg yolks from your egg whites.
- In a separate bowl, use a beater to mix the egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar. Do not stop until the eggs are pale yellow and really thick. It takes about 5 minutes.
- Mix 1/2 cup of the milk mixture into the egg mixture. Beat together for 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. The mixture should get pretty thick after about 7-10 minutes.
- Place a strainer (preferably a fine mesh strainer like this one) over the medium bowl and pour the warm mixture through the strainer. You can stir it around in the strainer to get most of the liquid through.
- Sitr in the vanilla and Nutella until it dissolves.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes or until mixture is completely chilled.
- At this time, you need to check the instructions for your ice cream maker. If you are using Arty, go ahead and plug it in, put the paddle into the freezer bowl (which should be very frozen) and place the lid on. Press the on button and pour the mixture into the bowl. Let it churn for 20 minutes.
- After it is finished churning, you will want to pour it into a separate container to be placed in the freezer. I have been using tupperware and that works just fine.
- Let it freeze for 3+ hours and then enjoy.