I posted this recipe for quinoa patties the other day. In it I proclaimed my past skepticism for quinoa and my new love for it. With some leftover quinoa from the patties, I had made a little quinoa salad. Some craisins, a tiny bit of olive oil and some chopped walnuts were perfect. Really. In my quest to create even more salads using quinoa, I created this one. I ditched the olive oil and instead used apple cider vinegar. I added some chickpeas, fresh tomatoes, parsley, cumin, nutmeg and coriander. Using 1.25 cups of quinoa meant that we had a TON of this salad leftover. Normally (and unfortunately), that means some of it goes to waste. Not this time. I ate every. last. drop. of this salad. Yup. It was just that good.
Tomato and Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Serving size: approximately 1/2 cup
- 1.25 cups quinoa
- 2.25 cups water
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1-14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place quinoa and water in a large pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat to low and cover. Cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Drain any excess water (though there shouldn't be any leftover). Place quinoa in a large bowl and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients with the quinoa.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan or mozzarella cheese. Optional.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.