There's nothing quite like a fresh, juicy mango to make your mouth water. And few things go better together than black beans and tropical fruit, i.e. chunks of mouthwatering mango. Add to that, my current favorite grain, quinoa, and you're guaranteed to have a winning combo. Quinoa is a grain-like crop, more closely related to beets and spinach than cereal grains. It is amino-acid rich, meaning it is protein filled, containing all nine essential amino acids. In addition, quinoa is magnesium rich, aiding in the prevention of migraines and the improvement of cardiovascular health. There are multiple varieties of quinoa, the most common being a yellow/gold quinoa, red quinoa and a tri-color quinoa. All are good and all can be used for this recipe. I use a 1:1.5 ratio for quinoa to liquid when cooking my quinoa and tend to cook it for about 30 minutes. I like it when it pops in my mouth which is why I gravitated towards less liquid (similar to al dente pasta). If you want it thoroughly cooked, add another 1/4-1/2 cup of liquid to your quinoa. Simply mix the quinoa, black beans, and mango with a bit of olive oil, red wine vineagar and salt. Chill it for 30 minutes and serve as a filling side dish or an even better lunch.
Black Bean and Mango Quinoa Salad
Servings: 4 people side dishes for dinner, 2 main meal lunches
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cup water
- 14 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse your quinoa (unless using pre-rinsed quinoa). Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and run water over it.
- Place water and quinoa in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir occassionaly so that quinoa doesn't stick. Cook until all of the liquid is absorbed and quinoa has popped, roughly 25-30 minutes.
- Place quinoa in a bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Cut mango into small pieces. Here is a great tutorial on how to easily cut mango.
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Remove quinoa from the refrigerator and mix in black beans, mango, olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt. Toss thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until cool.