If you are anything like me, you love curry. In fact, I have a whole slew of curry recipes for you all. This one is a very simple soup. It can be made in 45 minutes or put in the crockpot to simmer all day on low. You could easily spice it up with additional vegetables or leave it as a basic squash and lentil soup. As always, serve it with fresh bread or over basmati rice and you have yourself a delicious, quick supper.
Curried Lentil Squash Soup
- 1 lb butternut squash, fresh or frozen, cubed
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5-6 cups of water
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- If using a crockpot, place all ingredients in the crockpot on low (4-6 hours) and sit back and relax.
- If you are making this over the stove, place 1 tbsp olive oil in the pot you will be using to make your soup. Turn stove to medium heat and add garlic and onions. Sautee for 5 minutes.
- Add squash and sautee for 10 minutes, stirring and letting the squash brown.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and let simmer on medium heat for roughly 40 minutes. Check at the 30 minute mark to make sure you don't need to add more liquid. If necessary, add an additional 1 cup of water.
- If you prefer, use half water and half vegetable stock. This will make the dish a bit more salty and flavorful.