Instead of going out to eat each week, the boy and I have decided to cook a "special" dinner each week. This means we get to go out and pick up out of the ordinary groceries to create a meal that may take a bit more time or a meal that has slightly more expensive ingredients. We have done it two weeks in a row and its been a great way to save money (spending $20-$30 on a home cooked dinner as opposed to $50 to go out) and have a date night with food I don't usually get to cook with. This week we went up to Pangano's, a wonderful seafood retailer in Norwalk, CT. We picked up oysters and little neck clams to eat on the half shell, along with a half-pound of bay scallops. The oysters and clams speak for themselves; they were very obviously delicious! The scallops required cooking and so I opted for a really simple recipe with a remoulade sauce made in the Vitamix. I pan seared them with a bit of olive oil and parsley and topped them with a delicious tomato remoulade. We ate the scallops alongside Israeli couscous cooked in vegetable stock and the seafood on a half shell that we picked up.
Pan Seared Scallops with Tomato Remoulade
Servings: scallops for 2-3 and approximately 1.5-2 cups of remoulade sauce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients in a Vitamix (or blender) and puree. Start on Variable, 1 and immediately increase to 10, switching to High for 30 seconds.
- Place in a container to cool.
- Excess sauce can be refrigerated for up to a week.
Pan Seared Scallops
- 1 tbsp parsley, fresh (chopped), dried, or frozen (Dorot)
- 1/2 pound scallops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Using a small non-stick pan, heat olive oil on low-medium heat.
- If using frozen parsley, add it to the olive oil and let it melt. If using fresh or dried, skip this step.
- Place scallops in the pan and leave them be.
- Add parsley, dried or fresh to the top of the scallops.
- After approximately 3-4 minutes or when they are golden brown, flip the scallops. Cook again for 3-4 minutes or until this side turns golden brown.
- Top with tomato remoulade.