What's this you say? Chocolate mug cake? Five minutes? Oh yes, you heard me correctly. Last night, J and I (1) decided we needed dessert; (2) got off the couch to make said dessert; (3) made said dessert; (4) ate said dessert; (5) cleared dishes for said dessert; and (6) were back relaxing on the couch...all in ten minutes. Yup we made and ate chocolate cake (and homemade whip cream) in ten minutes. A friend emailed this recipe to me a few days ago and I'll have to admit I kind of chuckled and skimmed right over it, leaving it in my inbox for another day. Turns out last night was the perfect moment. Following a somewhat involved dinner of chickpea and black bean quesadillas on homemade tortillas, and after a long work day for J, an elaborate involved dessert was not in the cards. I know...that probably means we should have skipped dessert all together but that wasn't in our cards either. So I dove back into my all-too-full inbox and pulled up this initially rejected recipe and we went to town.
Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
Servings: 1 cake, enough for 2 people
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder OR 3 squares semi-sweet bakers chocolate (melted)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips (optional but entirely necessary)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place dry ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg and whisk.
- Pour in the milk, oil, and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix again.
- Pour into a large coffee mug - the taller the better (make sure its microwavable safe).
- Put mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 30 seconds. Take a knife around the outside of the cake and then tip onto a plate.
- Serve with ice cream or homemade whip cream (only takes 2 minutes).
- Share this recipe with a friend because who doesn't need dessert in 5 minutes.