I made this as an alternative to my Eggplant Boat o' Veggies, a go-to dinner in our house. The zucchinis resulted in a tasty, light meal. If you don't want to serve this as a main course, it would work perfectly as an appetizer or side dish to a main course of meat. The honey contrasted perfectly with the vinegar and the vegetables soaked up the marinade nicely. I used freshly shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese to top the zucchini boats. Delish!
Servings: 3 people
Serving size: 1.5 zucchini per person
- 6 zucchini
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 1 small-medium sweet yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut zucchini in half, length-wise.
- Scoop contents of zucchini out using a small spoon.
- Dice scooped out zucchini, tomatoes and onions into a similar size.
- Place vegetables and garlic into a bowl. Mix with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray (9x13 or multiple 9x9 dishes) and fill with empty zucchini boats.
- Scoop vegetable mixture into the zucchinis, filling them to the top.
- Sprinkle zucchini boats lightly with shredded cheese of choice.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and mixture is slightly bubbling.