With the onslaught of cold weather, I have gone on a marshmallows binge. That means an excess of homemade hot cocoa, which in turn translates to an excess of stomach aches thanks to the over indulgence on dairy. Needing to cut that out of my diet, my mind turned to s'mores. A "food" that brings back memories of youth, of camping with my family or finding ways to indulge in this delicious treat without camping. It also brings back memories of our time in Chicago, time spent with friends, eating, laughing, and roasting s'mores in the crisp cool Chicago air. They remind me of the time I went camping with the hubby and our dog got so sick off the s'mores that he broke out of a fully zipped up tent to take care of his business. Seeing as we don't have a firepit or fireplace (both necessities in our next home), S'mores in Baltimore aren't quite practical. So with two bags of marshamellows to kill and a whole Saturday full of rain, sleet, and snow, I set out to find an alternative to outdoor s'mores. Turns out these s'mores bars are a fairly acceptable option for a DIY s'more in the oven.
Do you have any foods that remind you of both your childhood and adulthood? What good memories do you have thanks to the wonderful invention of s'mores?
Servings: 9-12 squares
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 25-30 min total
- 1.5 cups graham crackers - approximately 1.5 sleeves of graham crackers
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1.5 cups semi or milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 8x8in pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place graham crackers in a food processors and process until fine.
- Melt butter in a small bowl.
- Mix together graham crackers, butter, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Press graham cracker mix firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup of chocolate chips evenly over the graham cracker mix and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Add the marshmallows on top and remaining 1/5 cup of chocolate chips. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and then serve.