This is a fun little dish to make. I had it for dinner but you could easily swap out a large eggplant for multiple baby eggplant and make it into an appetizer for a dinner party. With that being said, I thought it was sufficiently filling to eat as a meal (and I think J agreed).
Eggplant Boat o' Veggies
Servings: 3 (1/2 eggplant boat per person + 1 serving of "leftovers" not in a eggplant boat)
Nutrients per Serving: 222 calories; 17g fat; 180mg sodium; 42g carbohydrates; 7g protein
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 large eggplant (or 2-3 baby eggplants)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Dash of salt (and when I say dash, I mean 1/2 tsp)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut eggplant in half.
- Scoop out interior of eggplant and set aside.
- Take approximately 1/2 of the eggplant and chop into bit sized pieces. Place in bowl.
- Add tomatoes, onions, breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic, parsley and salt to the bowl with the chopped eggplant. Mix well.
- Place eggplant shell into casserole dish (I used a 9x9 glass dish).
- Scoop mixture into shells and place in oven. I had extra mix that I placed in a small casserole dish and cooked alongside the eggplant boats.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until mix is hot.
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired and cook for 2-3 more minutes.