I almost don't know what to say about this recipe. It is heavenly, decadent, and rich. A chocolate lover's paradise. I should probably warn you: this should be labeled an "unfortunate" dessert. Why you ask? Because...it can be made, start to finish, in under 20 minutes. It is the perfect size for an individual. And it probably caused me to put on a few extra pounds this weekend. Oh but it was so worth it. I made them in individual ramekins, purchased from Crate & Barrell for a few dollars a piece. You can also find these at Williams-Sonoma, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. Don't let the look of this dish fool you. It is just a bit of melting, stirring and watching a timer. Worst case? You end up with a chocolate shell oozing with a warm chocolate center. There are worse things in life, arent there?
Melt in Your Mouth Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
Servings: 3 Individual Sized Ramekins
- 4 oz 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate
- 1 oz semi-sweet chocolate (chips or squares)
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated white chocolate, if desired
- 1 tsp grated candy cane, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease 3 individual sized ramekins or custard cups.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave.
- Add the flour and sugar, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the eggs and yolks until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Divide the batter evenly among the ramekins (should fill each one up about half-way).
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Grate a small amount of white chocolate and candy cane over the top if desired.
- Eat immediately.